Laura Reich is a commercial litigator with a practice focusing on complex, commercial disputes and arbitration.
Laura represents clients in state and federal courts, as well as before arbitration panels, at both the trial and appellate court levels. Laura is also a neutral an arbitrator on the American Arbitration Associations’ roster of neutrals for commercial and consumer disputes.
Laura has represented international and U.S. corporations and individual clients on a wide variety of issues, including breach of contract, violations of consumer protection statutes, breach of fiduciary duties, antitrust, garnishment, business torts, and regulatory matters.
Laura also has significant experience in class action litigation, both at the trial level and on appeal, with emphasis on the issues specific to defending companies involved in such actions.
- Admitted to Practice
- Florida, 2006
- US District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- US District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Professional and Community Activities
- Chambers USA 2017, “Up and Coming,” Florida, Litigation: General Commercial
- The Florida Bar, International Law Section
- Executive Committee Member, 2014 – 2020
- Chair, 2014 ILS Int’l Litigation and Arbitration Conference (now known as iLAW)
- The Florida Bar, Legal Needs of Children Committee, 2017-2019
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade
- Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Miami International Arbitration Society
- 2014 Miami Committee for ICCA (arbitration) Conference
- Florida’s Children First
- Board of Directors
- Host Committee Member, 2013-present
- University of Florida Blue Key Leadership Honorary
- Kiwanis Club of Biscayne Bay, Miami
- Miami Shores Presbyterian Church, Deacon
- Successfully collaborated on an ICC arbitration against an international petrochemical company, resulting in a more than US$20 million final award in favor of clients.
- Successfully defended national company against consumer claims in both federal court and in an AAA arbitration, resulting in a final arbitration award in significant favor of clients on all key claims.
- Defended and won a motion to dismiss consumer class action claims in federal court.
- Successfully compelled arbitration of consumer class action claims in federal court, leading to the abandonment of the action by plaintiff.
- Prevailed in appeal in Florida state court addressing limits of trial court’s authority regarding property or assets located out-of-state in proceedings in aid of execution of a judgment.
- Successfully defended and cross-moved for summary judgment in claims arising out of enforcement of judgment and garnishment actions regarding VoIP phone providers.
- Successfully defended Mexican company in ICDR arbitration against breach of contract and fraud claims arising out of purchase and sale contract and letter of intent, resulting in a final arbitration award completely in favor of clients.
- Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Reich, Laura M. & Rodriguez, Clarissa A., The Art of the Arbitration, International Law Quarterly, vol. XXXIII, no. 3 at 14, Fall 2017
- Reich, Laura M., World Round-up: United States, International Law Quarterly, vol. XXXII, no. 3 at 42, Fall 2016
- iLAW 2017, The Florida Bar International Law Section, Miami, Florida
- Panelist, Hot Topics in International Litigation
- Reich, Laura M. & Rodriguez, Clarissa A., Prepare to Win: First Steps in International Arbitration, The Woman Advocate, ABA, March 2, 2017
- Reich, Laura M., Read the Fine Print: Arbitration Agreement May Have Benefits for Consumers, Daily Business Review, Nov. 16, 2016
- International Litigation and Arbitration Conference, The Florida Bar International Law Section, Miami, Florida
- Moderator, Hot Topics in International Arbitration, February 2016
- Panelist, Energy and Infrastructure Arbitration, February 2015
- Chairperson, February 2014
- The Fundamentals of International Arbitration Course, Univ. of Miami Law School
- Cross-examination technique instructor, January 2015
- Moot arbitration facilitator, September 2014
- Reich, Laura M. & Finburg, James, Chapter 11: CAFA Settlement Provisions, The Class Action Fairness Act: Law and Strategy, published by the American Bar Association (Oct. 2013)
- Femme Arbitration: Women in Int’l Arbitration, sponsored by The Florida Bar Int’l Law Section & Future of Arbitration: Miami (Sept. 14, 2013)
- Moderator - Miami Women in the Law, University of Miami Law School (Spring 2013)
- Panelist - International Arbitration: Past, Present, and Future, University of Miami Law School (Nov. 1, 2011)
- JD, University of Florida College of Law, with honors, 2005
- The Florida Law Review, Galleys Editor
- BA, University of Florida, with highest honors, 2002
- Dual major in Economics & English